The Youth Council is a collaboration among businesses and educational professionals, local government, community leaders and youth that aim to provide all youth with opportunities to become productive members of the community.
The Cape & Islands Youth Council envisions a community where all youth are a success in school, work, and life. We envision a community that provides all youth with opportunities to become productive and satisfied adults. It is toward that vision that the Strategic Action Plan for the Youth Council of the Cape and Islands Workforce Development Board is developed.
MISSION: To serve as a catalyst to build a comprehensive youth service delivery system. The Council develops and implements youth workforce development decisions on behalf of the Cape and Islands WDB and advocates for issues involving youth. To successfully transition to working adulthood, youth need access to services that prepare them for success in employment, improve educational achievement, provide overall support and develop their potential as citizens and leaders. The Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket Youth Council works to ensure these four service elements are available to all Cape and Islands youth.
ROLE: The Youth Council will play several roles in relationship to the vision and mission. We will strategically invest in innovation. We will act as an intermediary between businesses and youth, to ensure that a mutually beneficial relationship between both ensues. And we will be a community facilitator and convener to identify issues and collectively solve problems with regard to our mission.
The CAPE AND ISLANDS CAREER CENTER opens many doors for out of school youth and young adults Ages 14-24.
The Youth Council Is Here to Work For You
Youth Council Members
- Ken Jenks, Dennis Yarmouth Regional School District, Chair
- Abby Adams, Steven Ellard CPA
- Elizabeth Barlow, Independence House
- Kerry Bickford, Cape Cod Extension & 4-H After-school
- Sally Bowles, Catania Hospitality Group
- Tom Brognano, YMCA Cape Cod
- Martha Burzycki, Career Center
- Shaun Cahill, Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office
- Beverly Costa-Ciavola, Cape Cod Neighborhood Support Coalition
- Kris Dower, JTEC / Career Center
- Scott Fitzmaurice, Cape & Islands Gay & Straight Youth Alliance & Thrive
- Dara Gannon, Cape Cod Foundation
- Siobhan Henshaw, Plain Talk
- Bev Horan, INFOR
- Deb Martin, District Attorney’s Office
- Christine McCarey, Cape Cod Community College
- Michael Medeiros, Massachusetts MENTOR
- JR Mell, Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Chris Morin, Independence House
- Joanna Nee, Parent
- Christine Pires, Job Corps
- Ruth Provost, Boys & Girls Club
- Kathy Quatromoni, District Attorney’s Office
- Robert Sanborn, Cape Cod Regional Technical High School
- Paula Schnepp, Sandwich Housing Authority
- Anne Van Vleck, Housing Assistance Corporation
- Chris Wiklund, Living Independently Forever, Inc
- Carol Woodbury, Dennis Yarmouth Regional School District
The work of the Council is carried out not only by the full Youth Council, but also by its sub-committees:
- Executive Committee
- Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Committee
- School To Careers
- Scholarship/Externship Committee