The Youth Council is a collaboration among businesses and educational professionals, local government, community leaders and youth that aim to provide all youth with opportunities to become productive members of the community.
The Cape & Islands Youth Council envisions a community where all youth are a success in school, work, and life. We envision a community that provides all youth with opportunities to become productive and satisfied adults. It is toward that vision that the Strategic Action Plan for the Youth Council of the Cape and Islands Workforce Development Board is developed.
MISSION: To serve as a catalyst to build a comprehensive youth service delivery system. The Council develops and implements youth workforce development decisions on behalf of the Cape and Islands WDB and advocates for issues involving youth. To successfully transition to working adulthood, youth need access to services that prepare them for success in employment, improve educational achievement, provide overall support and develop their potential as citizens and leaders. The Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket Youth Council works to ensure these four service elements are available to all Cape and Islands youth.
ROLE: The Youth Council will play several roles in relationship to the vision and mission. We will strategically invest in innovation. We will act as an intermediary between businesses and youth, to ensure that a mutually beneficial relationship between both ensues. And we will be a community facilitator and convener to identify issues and collectively solve problems with regard to our mission.
See the YC Annual Youth Report FY19
The CAPE AND ISLANDS CAREER CENTER opens many doors for out of school youth and young adults Ages 14-24.
The Youth Council Is Here to Work For You
Youth Council Members
- Ken Jenks, Dennis Yarmouth Regional School District, Chair
- Abby Adams, Secure Networks
- Carrie Thornburg-Bearse, Cape Cod Foundation
- Sally Bowles, Catania Hospitality Group
- Tom Brognano, YMCA Cape Cod
- Martha Burzycki, Career Center
- Isabelle Caplan, Cape Cod Media Center
- Shaun Cahill, Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office
- Beverly Costa-Ciavola, Cape Cod Neighborhood Support Coalition
- Kris Dower, JTEC / Career Center
- Dara Gannon, Cape Cod Foundation
- Beth Griffin, Upper Cape Tech
- Hope Hanscom, Mashpee Public Schools
- Bev Horan, INFOR
- Michael Medeiros, Massachusetts MENTOR
- JR Mell, Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Chris Morin, Independence House
- Lee Moynihan, Sturgis Charter East
- Amy Neil, Cultural Center of Cape Cod
- Sam Nicholson, Encore Construction
- Ruth Provost, Boys & Girls Club
- Robert Sanborn, Cape Cod Regional Technical High School
- Danielle Whitney, District Attorney’s Office
- Chris Wiklund, Living Independently Forever, Inc
- Carol Woodbury, Dennis Yarmouth Regional School District
The work of the Council is carried out not only by the full Youth Council, but also by its sub-committees:
- Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- School To Careers
Residential Construction Career Day